Monday, June 23, 2008

I am Jane with a missing wisdom tooth.

I opened up Mabel's blog and it's currently playing some song called heartbreaker by who, I really don't know, but I'm really getting in the mood to par-tay. So, Mabel Choong, if there's one thing I must do before we both turn 20 is to party with you at least once. Hem was ever so kind to leave me some comments, and it seems that I've been doing nothing but whine. So, today, (right after writing about how Dr. Pritam Singh yanked my tooth out of my mouth) I shall not complain about myself, but about other people's life, for them, although these people are entirely fictional.

Let's make this short but still bitter.
On that faithful day, my mum decided that I needed reminding that I had an appointment with Dr. Pritam Singh (the dentist who used to visit my school when I was in high school, although he did say that he was going to retire then, but it's been three freaking years since I've left and there he was, still same old Pritam Singh) to which I cheekily replied, "But today is only the 19th!My appointment is on the 20th". And yes, I was whining the whole way there. My parents do not understand because they have never been in the clutches of the fidgety old man. He's bloody damn rough! At first he was supposed to extract the left tooth first because it was much more impacted than the right, but in his haste of gripping my jaw and jabbing me like a piece of dead meat, he jabbed the RIGHT side, and I swear it almost came out through my cheeks. And that's when he decided to ask me "Which side do you want extracted first?". There is no way and ever going to be a way I'd let him jab me both sides so I lied. In a way I think it did me good. Because the bloody damn tooth came out within 2 minutes but it was the worst pain I've ever felt. I finally understand why most people are afraid of the dentist. I really don't remember how I dragged myself to the hospital for every week of the month to get all my four canines extracted when I was in the midst of preparing to put braces on. Ironically, I really don't know when I'm going to finish extracting all my wisdom teeth. I wish they didn't grow.I mean they're obviously useless. So according to the laws of evolution, they should have at least shrank by now, but no! they're the size of all our molars, if not bigger. And so, I have finished complaining.

...............................................................................

I have no idea what spurred my mother into becoming a Khaled Hosseini fan, but she has bought both his books. I can't say I'm a big fan of his, but he certainly got me reading page after page, compared to Dan Brown whom they say is oh-so-good.

I started of with this:



Thousand splendid suns was a phrase from a poem of which is quoted in the story. The irony in this story is how a woman, born as an illegitimate child to a theater owner, whose life ends in a so-called legitimate manner because she killed her good for nothing abusive horny husband. I call it self-defense, they call it murder. Any how, being the lazy me, I checked out the synopsis before I started reading, just so I'd get a hint of it. And honestly, the story does not live up to its synopsis, which is surprisingly rare, but weird as well. Maybe it was the other way around, but I thought there should have been more about Laila and Mariam's days as Rasheed's sex slaves. It really got me thinking if Khaled Hosseini was just imagining days in a life of the women in Kabul or did he use someone's life as an example just like Arthur Golden, writer of Memoirs of a Geisha.

After that, my mum assured me that The Kite Runner was much better and so:



Well, I did like the story much better (because Amir was an aspiring writer and wish I was one too), but there really is something disturbing about it. Amir's half brother, Hassan got sodomized by one of the bullies who was really the same age as them, just taller because he has German blood in him. If you ask me, I'd say that Assef Afghan-German boy was the filthy one. Why? Because his father married a German woman, and so, why is he, the Pashtun-German, holier than the Pashtun-Hazara? If anything I'd say that Hassan would have been a better patriot than filthy Assef. Anyway, as how the Christians think of sodomizing as a sin, I'm sure Islam does too. Not to compare or anything, but just stating that SODOMIZING IS DOWNRIGHT WRONG NO MATTER WHAT RELIGION YOU PRACTISE. (I'm bolding it because a certain someone whom I tried discussing the matter with insisted that I was talking about religion and decided to shut me up by just saying "I don't like to talk about religion". F.Y.I, I'm still pissed. And because I didn't get to share my thoughts I decided to write them here and share it with other people). I don't know what's wrong with me, but seeing someone sexually abused, or just the idea of it, it really disturbs me. It haunts me with the question "How can someone do something like that? Don't they have mothers, sister, and children too?". What made me really mad was how his father could be so compliant inspite his own son's sufferings. Just because society thinks of you as from a lower class doesn't give them the right to inflict such disgrace on you. And the hell is wrong with Assef? A boy not even in his teens, SODOMIZING another boy? That has got to be one sick kid. Probably his role was to make the story much more interesting, but I seriously think if there were such a person living on earth, he better eat shit for the rest of his life. And yes, it doesn't end there. Years later, after Hassan and his wife are brutally MURDERED not executed for doing no crime, the sick bastard shows up at the orphanage and picks Hassan's son, Sohrab, and SODOMIZES him. Not once, but almost everyday, before prayers. If that doesn't make him sick, I don't know what does. The weird thing was how holy he made himself sound when he was talking to Amir, as if sodomy is no sin. How can you sodomize a little boy AND THEN go and pray and pretend you're holy? It's like saying sorry to someone and then kicking them in the ass right after.

All in all, I think that Khaled Hosseini needs to expand his horizons because he really is not that resourceful, both stories are not only written in the same period, but also in the same places, same cities, same roads, and guess what? SAME ORPHANAGE. Perhaps he wrote down all the names of the places he's been to during his childhood, no?

Next up, 4 Blondes, by the same author of Sex and The City. My mum says its stupid, but after all the emotional distressed I've gone through these past few days, I think it's okay to be shallow for a while. By the way, I haven't started on my law. I promise I'll do it tomorrow.

Imagination is a powerful thing. With imagination, one book can take you thousands of miles away, travel through time, completely lost in their world, and leaving yours behind.

P.s :HEM IS A CONTROL FREAK...muahahaha...

1 comment:

hem said...

fuck you! (and no, i din mean it. i think incest is as bad as sodomy)