Saturday, July 26, 2008

I am Jane's Lust for Raw Fish, Salty Watermelon and Good ol' chicken stew

Today, I shall talk about food, delicious food, and nothing but absolute food (except for the little random thing down there)

  1. Sushi, Sashimi, as long as its raw fish and friends, you all belong in my mouth. Not my stomach, just my mouth. I do not need the extra calories and possible worms, but I do really yearn to taste you. My roommate and I had a long talk about Sushi places and we got ourselves so hungry, we went to bed with this longing for sushi. And so, I shall raid Sakae Sushi while I'm at The Curve tomorrow. (Yay! Another flea market to raid! And with my best girl friend too!)
  2. Salty watermelons, listen to me before you think I'm crazy. Well, I am a bit. Anyways, while I was at home, I saw this Chef Whatshisname mix watermelon cubes with olive oil and salt. It didn't sound yummy, but I had excessive amounts of watermelon today. And so I isolated a few cubes, and sprinkled salt on it. I couldn't find oil and so I omitted it out. Seriously, it doesn't taste bad at all. I've even developed an unusual fondness for it!
  3. My dinner today consisted of pomelo, kiwi fruit and watermelon, topped with a generous amount of chocolate ice cream (bloody Jusco ran out of vanilla). Trust me, after I finish cutting them all up, my hands were soaked in so much acid, I could feel it as I rubbed my fingers together. If you're thinking "Wahlau...diet ar?", please have a look at the picture first. (sorry its rotated)
  4. I have a very weird craving for Salted Fish Fried Rice. I really don't know why. I never liked salted fish as a kid. I remember the only time someone gave my mum a jar of it, and how we all complained about how it smelt like a dead rat. My father takes care of our food most of the time. He doesn't allow us to eat 'unhealthy' food, or rather, cancer-causing food as much as he can. And hence, for a very strictly Chinese (I really don't know how else to put it) man, my father is anti anything made in China, even the vegetation imported from their fields.
  5. Chicken Stew...I can still taste you. The last time I was over, my beau and I took on reverse roles. I was made to follow his commands "Cut the carrot, cut the potato, cut this cut that. Like this, Like that!" (Just for fun), while he cooked. He even let me pound the garlic with the piston and mortar (seriously good for releasing stress, he let me do it so that I wouldn't bite him.Lol!). Preparing that dish brought back childhood memories to both of us. When he was frying the chicken, garlic and ginger, he said it smelt exactly like his mother's chicken soup. And when he put in the water and the chicken stock, it smelt exactly like my dad's chicken. And when it was done, it really was as if it came from the best of both worlds (at least that's how I see it). But of course, he'd want all the credits.
It's weird how we both come from different backgrounds, and how we like our own culture's food as well as food from each other's culture. Perhaps it's because I grew up eating Chinese food that I've taken a certain liking to having taire with my rice. And oh, how I love drinking rasam and eating papadam/allapam/whateveryoucallit with urka. Prema used to think I was crazy for eating so much of both. And of course, the beau LOVES Wat Tan Hor and Sang Meen although he always orders something else and thus, end up with the wrong dish at times.

The weird thing is we really have very little in common. Probably because of that, what I lack, he has, and what he lacks, I have. Some people can't stand people who have different opinions than theirs, but I really wonder how we survived our differences. Probably because we're both slackers and we just sit around and do nothing all day. When I'm feeling productive, he's feeling lazy. When I feel sleepy, he feels productive. So all day long we feel lazy and sleepy. That really has got to change (you hear that?!).

What I do notice is our love for food and movies. We can do away with anything but the two, and maybe a few other things. I never really liked cooking. I never really had the patience, and I really never had the know-how. My food has always been over-cooked (still is) for fear of under-cooking (so does his). I never really bothered frying or grilling anything if I didn't have to. Even nowadays the microwave is my best friend because I simply just throw everything into a bowl and heat it up. Interestingly, my laziness has taken me by surprise by offering to omit even the heating step and hence, I now only eat raw fruits and vegetables. But nowadays, with two watchful and hungry eyes, food is never left on the stove longer than it has to for fear of mutating gastric juices.

Some couples do sports together. Some share hobbies as a way of spending time together. Food brings us together. Our monthly food splurge never ceases to fail us, whether it's Tony Roma's or Melaccan Gula Melaka. We spend time together while we prepare meals, and we eat together. There really is no wonder why I put on so much weight. And so, in order to balance the eating we do together, I have to eat less when I'm not with him. Haha, as if it's going to work.

Hmm.. I feel as if this post is a little bit too personal now. Oh, well! There's always editing later on.

To hungry stomachs and lustful tongues!


Randomness

Few days ago, my nose was having its usual 100m sprint while I was in class (I honestly don't know why my nose becomes like that only when I have class. I believe I'm allergic to studying). And so, I called my dad to 'consult' whether or not I should 'consult' the one with the medical degree (not that they do anything else than dispense antihistamine. Trust me, I know all of them). What I did not know was that my mum was out with him, which was really a rare occasion. And so, my dad passed the phone to my mum (read: {-.-} ). On to the juicy part, this was basically what our conversation was like:

Mum : What's the problem now?
Jan : My nose is running.
Mum : So? You don't want to go to class?
Jan : No, I AM in class.
Mum : Then? How come you can call me now?
Jan : We're having a break.
Mum : So? You want to skip the rest of the lecture?
Jan : No, I just asked you whether I should go see the doctor.
Mum : So? You want to go now?
Jan : No, I'm having class NOW. My nose is running. It always does when I'm in class
Mum : You didn't go to class?
Jan : NO! I AM in class!
Mum : Then why are you calling me?
(*note: in music, we have a term called crescendo, which means getting louder, and it starts here)
Jan : Because I wanted to ask you if I should go see a doctor!
Mum : So you're telling me you don't want to go to class?
Jan : I TOLD YOU I WAS IN CLASS!
Mum : Then, what do you want me to do?
Jan : NOTHING!!! I JUST WANTED TO ASK YOU A QUESTION!!
Mum : So? What do you mean? You don't want to go to college at all?
Jan : I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU! PASS THE PHONE BACK TO DAD. AND IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, THEN YES, I DON'T WANT TO GO TO CLASS!!!

Seriously, at that moment, I was plotting to wake up the next morning, and even though I'd go to class, I just wanted to call my mum and tell her "Mum, I don't want to go to class" and I really wanted to do it every day for a whole month and see what happens. Unfortunately, I really don't know if my mother is playing dumb or she just can't understand simple English (being and English teacher). Trust me, this is not the first time, and I doubt it will be the last. And I'm always at fault in the end, never her. Why can't she apologize?

On to happier things, I was bored out of my wits today, and so I hopped out of bed and on to a bus, and went to Amcorp Mall to raid another flea market. I don't know why, but I've really taken a liking to them. Anyway, I guess I was a bit too late because as I reached, I saw most of the vendors already packing. Nonetheless, I still managed to bring back a black shawl to add to my collection. So, Plain Blue, Peach, Pink and White, turquoise and black, and pink and purple, meet your new sister, black, orange, blue and green! I know, I'm crazy

Studying done today = 0, zero, elek, nada, tarak, kosong, 'mei yo'; and I'm thinking of playing only.

No comments: