Monday, August 4, 2008

I am Jane's shocking revelation on human behaviour

Yawn! I just finished my five reviews for work. You know, I think I'm going to change my stand on how what I'm doing is just worth the income. I still stand on my grounds that working is tough, only made easier with the income in view, but working with my current employer is so much better than Forbes. Sure, Forbes may be a big company, and it would have looked really good on my resume. But to date, they have refused to reply any of my queries! I don't know whether or not they still owe me money, but that is besides the point. I don't understand how such a big company can have such unethical employees. If an employee is to be laid off, I think it's fair enough for him/ her to be given due notice right? Is it too much to ask if they just wrote a note saying that they no longer require your services (if they are polite enough to put it in this manner), or perhaps more crude ways? My current employee, although there is nothing in black and white that says that we have a contract for/of service (which is it for freelancers?) she is very professional when it comes to explaining my scope of work, how much I get paid, what I need to improve on and she answers anything I have to ask! This includes how will the payment be made (which Forbes took about 2 months to answer and another 3 months before they paid), whether or not she can lessen my workload during exam periods, and whether or not she can provide me reference for my resume (which she kindly obliged!). What more can I ask for? (disclaimer: my opinion of her stands as of today, based on what I know and how she's been replying me for the past one week. Of course, it takes much longer than a week to know a person, but first impressions are always important, right?) Sure, the pay isn't as great as getting paid in US dollars, but the job satisfaction is great. And so, I now do it not only for the money, but for the self-satisfaction, the self-confidence, the financial freedom, and most importantly, the appreciation. Getting the appreciation you deserve is so very rewarding. It makes you feel like doing your job better! This is what ACCA teaches us and now, I finally understand the essence of it.

On the other hand, today was a fairly 50/50 day between good and bad. And so, today's post will not be any less angry than any other post I've ever written. The main topic here today is human behaviour, which I shall demonstrate in the following scenarios:
  1. I woke up early today, to see Ms. Emily to inform her of my taking a long break for medical reasons (please note that I have been known for taking off without notice and this is a very big step for me). I specifically remembered that Ms. Emily only comes to office at 9am, and therefore, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and went only at about 9.45am, only to find out that she was expected to arrive only at 11am. This is not what I have to complain about. She is a director, she has the right to step into the office as and when she likes. However, it is a different story altogether for the administration staff. THEY are being employed to help ensure that things run smoothly and I assure you that they are not doing their job well at all. For one, it wouldn't hurt them to be more courteous. After all, we are paying their salaries through our tuition fees. It wouldn't hurt them to show us some respect, if not courtesy. Firstly, they show attitude to students and sometimes even refuse to acknowledge a student's presence when the student is staring right smack into their eyes. I don't know whether or not they are partially blind, but they don't seem blind to me when they're busy chit-chatting about everything else under the sun that doesn't concern work. Next, they refuse to admit their mistakes! Read : how they changed the timetable at 8am and implemented it right there and then and expected students to know. Hello? Some of us don't have class every day, okay? Even if we did, what if we didn't have a particular subject on that day? Do you expect us to go to class empty handed? Might as well don't go, right? Even then, they have even worse communication systems. For one, the person who changed the timetable forgot to inform everyone else and thus, she was the only person anyone could consult about the changes and she was NEVER in the office.
  2. Second experience on the same day, I was at Pudu, trying to get a bus ticket. I was queuing up behind a Malay man, who was buying his ticket. Out of no where, this old man came and stood right in front of me! Trust me, there was not much space for him to squeeze, but he still did! Even worse still, the impatient idiot decided to poke his head into the counter every now and then when the Malay man wasn't even finished! He even asked the Malay man why he was taking so long and asked him to hurry up! Hello? You didn't even ask my permission to cut queue! Sure, you're older than me. But that doesn't give you the right to be rude! At least have the courtesy to ASK. After the Malay man left, he conveniently took up the whole counter space and bought two tickets to Taiping (what stupid coincidence is this?). When it was FINALLY my turn (please remember that I was scheduled to see the doctor today), it so happened that the bloody old man bought the last two tickets for the bus! I may look young, but I also have a medical problem okay? Just because your old bones can't stand the heat doesn't give you the right to cut people's queue and BE RUDE! To top it all up, the miscellaneous notorious Pudu vendors were screaming their lungs out and some of their voices were really shriek-y. I may be a quarter deaf, but my sensitivity to noise has doubled (I can't even stand white noise now). So imagine how much grievance the old idiot caused me. This, please note that I've saved him all the profanity I could have used. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he DID have an emergency, but it still wouldn't have killed him to ask first. Mother never teach ar? Trust me, that wasn't the end of it. The next bus was scheduled to come in one and a half hours later (imagine another one and a half hours more of dust and loud shrieks. I wonder how much damage it caused my ear infection and burst ear drum. Seriously, old man, if karma works, I hope it works now). And so, I went on to look for alternatives, which brings me to my next scenario:
  3. I finally found a lady selling Star Mart tickets for a bus that was leaving soon. And so, after constantly consistently asking her if it was REALLY a Star Mart bus and paying a price way higher than what I usually pay for a bus ticket, I went down to the mentioned platform, only to find that the bus there was going to Johor. Some guy asked me where I was going and I told him. He led me, and some Bangladeshi dude outside Pudu, where I first took my first illegal bus to Taiping, and asked us to board the bus there. Right before handing my ticket, I seeked confirmation from the bus driver that the bus WAS really going to Taiping. To my horror (although I'm not surprised) it was heading towards Penang. I caught a glimpse of the Bangladeshi's ticket which said Butterworth and started suspecting the legality of the bus. After insistently refusing to board the bus, some guy pointed me towards another bus, of which the plague in front of it read KL-MELAKA. I wanted to ask if he was blind or something. I gave them a cock stared and turned around. I headed towards the girl who sold me the ticket and started screaming my lungs out. Her explanation was that the bus IS heading north but stops along Taiping, Butterworth AND Penang. How convenient. I refused and demanded a refund of which she hesitantly gave. In the end, I had to wait a whole extra hour to wait for the bus. Even then, the bus was so damn old that I felt like constructing a bomb and blowing up the whole place right there and there. Why can't all bus stations be like Melaka Sentral? I'm not asking for Singapore standards, but we DO have some agreeable bus stations within the country. Can't they all be like that? Pudu Raya should be labeled hell on earth. See? Old man? See what grievance you caused me? Selfish, impatient rude ass.
After that, I finally reached home, and I'm not sure if it's the ear, but my mother hasn't started scolding me yet. Although I really don't understand how they can blame me for an ear drum that burst itself. Anyways, they're into this new thing called Scalar medal or something. It's this huge disc hung on a chain, supposedly worn around your neck. I feel like a dog. I even have a license to go with it. Very funny. Anyway, I missed my doctor's appointment and so, I have to go tomorrow. By the way, did I mention that I have high blood pressure? How not to? With people like this, it would be a wonder if I could keep my cool.

I once said in my Friendster blog that
Respect is to be earned, it cannot be forced out of a person, and neither is it in-born.

I still stand by that statement. Just because somebody is old doesn't mean they get the right to do as they want. They still have to live by rules. The idiot didn't even apologize! Am I invisible or what? If he told me I was, then I would have spat in his face. People who are rude do not deserve politeness. This is Malaysian culture. Things will never be done if you are soft spoken. I learnt it the hard way. Although I still get stepped over sometimes, I now scream at random strangers for doing me wrong. Cheating and stealing is wrong. And so is cutting queue. Like I said, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, although I seriously can't justify why he couldn't ask or apologized.

Budi Bahasa Budaya Kita it seems...I don't see it happening. And don't even get me started on government servants. Bloody hypocrites these people are!

1 comment:

zyang said...

haha...1st time i finish your cheonghei-ness,totally agree with the respect thingy and rest of the stuff