Friday, August 1, 2008

I am Jane in an ill-condition

As a kid, I never minded getting sick, in fact I used to LOVE getting sick all the time (think: Sore throat? Fever? Oh, YES!). In fact, I always wished it turn into something really nasty. For example, when I was in Form 2, I had the best time of the year when I had chicken pox, except for the after math when the name calling started. Why? Because I got to skip school, because I got to sleep the whole day, because I was forced to eat only certain things (helps with the weight and detox) and best of all, because I wouldn't get scolded, although there are exceptions to the last one.

Nowadays, getting sick is like an obstacle; for one, I do force myself to go to class nowadays (yeah, I finally came to my senses. Going to class means that I will need less time to revise nearing exams, you get my drift) and food becomes such a problem. Besides that, I'd have to go to the doctor's, something I never really fancied and still don't (think: long waits, needles, probes and medication). By the way, I noticed that doctors now take my blood pressure, which really freaks me out. I don't understand why. I mean, there was once, when beau and I both got sick, and he is way older than me, but he didn't get his blood pressure checked; I did! WHY? Probably because I am an ACCA student, therefore higher risk of getting high blood pressure. Lol.

This time around, I decided to become my own doctor. I knew I had a nasty cold (cold are never mild when it comes to me), and I knew the medication needed. Added points for my own dispensary located in the drawer of my study desk (gastric pills, antihistamines, paracetamol [very important], neurofen, you name it, I've got it). What I didn't have was antibiotics, please don't ask why, use your logic. And so, I thought I'd be a smart alec and off to the pharmacy I went. Unfortunately, pharmacists at Midvalley were as if their license was at stake; I do know of many pharmacies in Sunway who dispense antibiotics off the counter, but in Midvalley, nobody did! Except for one, located in some corner on LG. It was only by chance that I found the pharmacy and I so happened to be there just as the lady was leaving for her lunch break. The antibiotics are helping to control the sore throat, but it really isn't getting any better. Whatever it is, I'm still going to give it a little bit more time just to see if it really doesn't work. And then I shall have to figure something else out.

Other than that, I finally saw my lazy orthodontist at Bangsar after almost one year of her canceling my appointments. I mean seriously, how many coincidence can it be? She's always on sick leave, or she'd be at some convention or seminar or whatever, and sometimes, she'd go off to the bank for hours and never show up until it's time to pack and go home. This is the attitude of most hospital doctors, if not all. Very rarely do you see hardworking and efficient ones who are ethical enough to put their patients' needs first. The very reason they are doctors is to help the sick, right? It's not just for a check at the end of the month, and it really shouldn't be just to fulfill the houseman-ship requirements set out by the government. Nonetheless, who am I to speak? I don't run the government and the government today can't even take care of itself, what more the people. Probably they should rewrite the Hippocrates oath and also impose severe punishment for those who do not comply (such as the ACCA code of ethics). It really does make sense, don't you think? Why should a money-minded, unethical, under-qualified doctor have the courtesy of opening his own clinic and over-charging the public? And I propose that all hospital doctors have a special oath as well, by which if they don't comply, their license will be revoked not only here, but every where else in the world as well. Why should they become doctors when they can't even master the essence of being one? It is not the public's fault that the lines at the hospitals are so long. If there were more USEFUL doctors, doctors who don't take half an hour break after every hour, doctors who don't come in at 8am, have tea breaks at 10am, lunch breaks at 12-2pm, and another tea break at 3pm and nurses who don't show attitude, I'm sure we'd have shorter waiting periods and better services. Today, I'm in a doctor-bashing mood, particularly hospital doctors. If you're a doctor, or you're aspiring to be one, I suggest you read on (if you can take criticism and want to be a BETTER doctor) or just leave.

Hospital doctors and nurses get fixed salaries (at least that's what I've been told). These fixed salaries are paid not by the hospital, but by the government (hence the term, GOVERNMENT hospital). Where does the government get the funds to pay their salary? From every taxpayer, of course! So really, substance over form, materiality over legality, WHO are their bosses? The hospital directors or the taxpayers? If you've ever had the experience of having to go to a government hospital, how have you found MOST of the nurses? I've only had bad ones. From nurses telling me that I can't do this and that, from nurses threatening me, to nurses who refuse to register me so I can see the doctor. It really wouldn't hurt them to have a little courtesy and learn some manners. Probably in the future, nurses training should incorporate skills such as COURTESY and PROPER MANNERS 101. What right have they to shun patients away and what right have they to refuse you an appointment? It's like telling your boss "Sorry boss, I can't do it, please pay me my salary and find someone else to do it." If only we could get them fired.
On the other hand, (although I've never come across a nurse who dares do such things) I believe that doctors are mere employees, and that they have proper working hours, say 9-5pm, with a 2hour lunch break and their compulsory prayer breaks. But prolonging these breaks are really unethical. For one, you are letting other people (who need to eat and pray also) wait, and you are cutting into your working hours. Aren't you slacking and cutting hours? In the private sector, you get SACKED for that. Think of hospitals (and other government departments) as a company. Think of the directors and what-not as the CEO, and think of the taxpayers as shareholders. Even if you aren't a tax payer, you're still a stakeholder because the company affects you in some way or another. These people are mere employees. Why do they enjoy the ability to torture and refuse their bosses? Really doesn't make sense to me. If I ever get to audit one of the hospitals, I promise you there'd be serious changes. So what if they refuse me treatment after that? I don't trust most of them anyway. I'll just go somewhere else. Simple.

No offense to those whose fathers are doctors and who are aspiring to be one. I hope you don't become like that and maybe start a new revolution among all hospital doctors.

On another note, I've started work as a review writer. It's not as fun as I thought it would (my mum always said "All you think is about fun, and you only want your way. Nothing is going to bend your way just for you". Well I know she wouldn't! But trust me, if I had my way, everything would bend), and it's super ultra boring, not to mention I don't understand half of the terms I see. Plus, I find it so constricting to write only 300 words worth of WMA, MP3, Anynet+ and Progressive Scan. I need room for my creativity to grow! I need more words! I need SPACE.
Nevertheless, nobody said working would be easy. There are those who enjoy the benefit of doing what they love, but how many are there? Money is still money, and although I wish it did, it doesn't fall out of the sky (it gets printed by machines). And now, I'll just have to start finding that perfect balance between study, work, play and also sleep. Beau is having exams and he's blaming me for being here. If I'm not here, he says he wished I was, if I'm here, he says I'm distracting him. Sigh~ Nighty night night!

No comments: