Friday, August 15, 2008

I am Jane's trilogy

I have so much delayed blogs that I have decided to combine them all into one, thus naming this one, a trilogy. Let the trilogy begin!

Episode 1: I am Jane awaiting to be put to sleep, cut open, and stitched up
Just the sound of it makes me shiver. On the morning of 11.08.08, this is what happened in the dentist's office in Hospital Taiping:
Dr : Good morning.
Me: Good morning (still very cheerful, and partially thinking "since when are hospital doctors so nice??!).
Dr : So your letter says that your wisdom tooth is causing you pain, and you have abscess and bleeding gums.
Me: ????!!! (since when?)
Dr : Where are you studying?
Me: Sunway
Dr : Studying?
Me: Yea (???)
Dr : I mean what are you studying
Me: Accountancy (I think at this point it was written all over my face "what does what I'm studying have to do with my teeth growing impacted?")
Dr : How about your medical history?
Me: Bla bla bla... (boring stuff)
.
.
.
(eons later, after a series of very boring and non-teeth related questions)
Dr : Do you smoke?
Me: NO (very confident)
Dr : Do you take alcohol?
----- {awkward silence} -----
Me: Erm...erm...well.. I did try?
Dr : Oh, I have to ask these questions because they are very important
Me: !!!???!!!?!??!!! (panic NOW)
And so, I went home and googled "influence of alcohol on surgery". WAIT!! My ordeal at the dentist is not over yet. Turns out that I have a choice to leave my stupid tooth there, or take it out, which I will eventually have to do because teeth like these only cause problem and nothing else. And so, because my parents would never stop nagging me if I left it there, I decided to do it as soon as possible, and once and for all.
Fortunately for me, I had the choice of local anesthesia and general. My choice was very obvious, especially after he said that under local anesthesia the procedure would go on for about an hour, and I'd be able to hear the drilling, vibration and shit. So please, let me 'rest in peace' while you do it, and don't wake me up until the pain is over. I said PAIN is over, not ordeal is over.
I'm telling you, sometimes, I have a feeling that my parents just want to scold me for the sake of scolding me. Just so they can talk. This is why:
  1. When I told my parents I had an impacted tooth, my parents were jumping up and down trying to get me to do it right away. I remember countless visits to Dr. Ng, and countless chickening out. And because of that, they nagged and nagged and nagged. Now, I'm willing and even offering to take all three out all at one go, and they're still nagging, asking why I want to put myself in such danger. This is where that anime-like emoticon comes in handy. I believe it looks like this {-.-"}. What the hell, don't take out also get scolded, take out also get scolded. So? Take out or not?
  2. My philosophy is, if something is going to cause me pain, I rather have very deep excruciating pain ONCE than bloody irritating nagging pains for two-three times. At least, I don't have to go through it all again and say "Here we go again". This gave my choice of general anesthesia extra points, because I can have all three removed at the same time. But no! My parents (who are not going to endure the pain) have to step in and enforce their opinion on me (I believe I'm 19, capable of making my own decisions, thank you). They started scaring me with stories of how people who went through operations using general anesthesia never woke up, and how general anesthesia kills your brain cells (smoke also burns brain cells, please stop burning incense).
  3. My parents are truly MY parents when they know my phobias and use them against me. They said that when I'm hospitalized, they won't be able to stay the night with me, and I will have to sleep ALONE, in an eerie bed, with sick people all around me, trying very hard not to get sick or the doctor won't be able to perform the surgery because I'd probably die if he did, in the dark, creepy ward, with a blanket so thin I can see right through it. Okay.
Okay, the last one really got me. But what am I supposed to do? If I don't do it now, I'm going to have to do it eventually. And did I mention I have mutant teeth? They grow at incredible speed! I RECENTLY (about a month ago, hehe) extracted my bottom right wisdom tooth, and the top one has already (I can't remember the exact word) 'over-grown'. Seriously, I think if I pulled only my bottom two canines, I'd probably have draculla fangs by now, no kidding.
And yes, just to extract an impacted tooth, and two very normal teeth, I have to have my blood tested, myself warded, and other weird tests done on me. SUCKS! I can't remember what else I wanted to say, but I shall stop my teeth clattering here.

Episode 2: I am Jane's pending results
My dreaded exam results are out on Monday. Do I want to know? Not really, unless it's good news. I've never been like this actually, awaiting something so uncertain. Nope, not good. I've always made myself very certain of what is to come, and thus, life has never been much of a surprise to me, and I never complained that it was boring, until now. It seems as if I've become a layman, whereas I was kind of invincible back then. But then again, it WAS just high school, how much hard work did that require? And so, results, please be obedient and be good, literally be GOOD. I don't want to be sitting here any longer than I have to, and I think I am putting in much more effort than I usually do, so please don't make me lose hope and hate the world more than I already do.

Episode 3: I am Jane's self-proclaimed Self-indulgence Day

Today, I had to come back early because my audit lecturer decided to be hardworking and give us 'extra class'. Actually, it is really unnecessary. Not that I don't appreciate, but there really are much better hours and ways of giving us extra class. Maybe an additional hour every day? Or less breaks, start class early, end class on time. Ah! Who am I to say. Did I mention the stupid admin staff messed up again? They called me and said, "Hello, this is Sunway TES, are you having an operation? Do you want to defer your papers?". I merely asked for an MC, I don't know where they learnt English from, but they certainly didn't master it well. Plus, if I were having an operation right now, would I be able to answer the phone? Life as a student is fucking retarded. I can't wait to be free. And so, I have nothing to add.
Back to my point, I dropped by Pyramid for my weekly supplies, and a little side-shopping, not that I had much to buy. I needed a pair of shoes badly, and so, I checked out the usual NOSE and Vincci who have surprisingly loss their creativity and sense of taste because everything was either so plain or really ugly. And so, I was walking an walking and walking when I spotted Everlast. They sell boxing apparels and equipment, as well as converse-like shoes and really really cute slip-ons. I found a ballerina flat-like shoe which I really didn't mind wearing, and I did a girl's most common sin: SPLURGE. Now, let's see how long EVERLAST will last in my hands. Pun intended.
For the whole month I've been craving for Japanese food really badly and today, I decided to indulge myself, since I worked so 'hard'. I was looking for those bento sets, but I don't know why they all looked so horrible nowadays, and so I settled for Mr. Tepanyaki. Let me tell you our love story:
I remember the first time I ever had Japanese food, it was when I was 10 years old, an age where I was most in love with food. My uncle and auntie took me along with them to see their son, and he took us to Lowyat (at that time, I didn't know the place was called Lowyat, but when I revisited the Mr Tepanyaki there, it was like rendezvous) for lunch. I didn't even know what Mr Tepanyaki was or what I was going to eat, but the first bite blew my mind away. I remember my cousin saying "You either hate Japanese food, or you'll love it. There's no two way. And if you love it, then you're in deep trouble, because all your life you will crave for it and it will burn a hole in your pocket". Almost a decade later, his words still stand true. The cold raw sushi IS burning a very big hole in beau and my pockets.
But of course, Mr Tepanyaki's standards have dropped drastically, and it tastes like crap now. The chef used to be a real Japanese who was able to do tricks with your food right in front of your eyes. Today? The chef is just some foreigner from Indonesia who learnt how to cook Tepanyaki in probably a week. How sad. Can you imagine they put the beancurd used to make yong tau foo into the miso soup? Disgusting. And the food isn't as aromatic as it used to be. Nonetheless, food is still food, especially when it doesn't burn such a big hole in my pocket. And for dinner, I had a waffle (been craving for it for weeks), and Jusco-made sushi (because I burnt a bigger hole feeding my shoe fetish). Today, my materiality aspect has suffered a severe reduction and thus, I will have to replenish it, or make a disclosure to my mum, which I'm not willing to do. Tomorrow, Kuan's coming over, we're either going rock climbing or to Melaka. By the way, did I mention I lost 5 kg? Very happy. 5 down, 15 more to go.

No comments: